Even before the Spaniards came, Parañaque already had an ongoing industry. Their nearness to the sea enabled them to trade with other Asian traders such as the Japanese, Chinese, Indians, Indonesians and Malays. They used to trade salts, fish, rice, shoes and slippers.
Year 1572, Parañaque was officially founded by the Augustinian Missionaries. Fr. Diego de Espiñar, an Augustinian Missionary who was appointed to be the local priest, established mission house there. May 11, 1580, a meeting was held called as the Council of the Definitors was held that made Palanyag, as Parañaque was then known, to be an independent town.
Parañaque was known as the Fashion Capital of the Philippines and The City of Lights
Top Landmark & Tourist Spots
Redemptorist Church also known as Baclaran Church
In 1948, the Redemptorist Church was declared the National Shrine of the Mother of Perpetual Help. Novenas are held here on Wednesdays. The church is considered one of the biggest in Asia and can accommodate around 11,000 people.
Salt Manufacturing/Salt Beds
The use of solar heat for evaporating seawater and crystallizing salt from the concentrated brine has been exploited and developed by the coastal dwellers of Manila Bay. Parañaque, the leading salt producing town, is a "natural" for this industry.